Thursday, July 21, 2011

Soul Food Cafe

My sister may never forgive me for picking the restaurant this time. Not only did she have to forgo her regular serving of chozorio/bacon, but her eggs were thoroughly disappointing which as any experienced breakfast goer knows, totally killed her buzz.

It was to be my last Breakfast of Champions on a weekday. And since my Tiffo works pretty much exclusively on weekends, it was to be our last breakfast out together for a while. So she graciously allowed me to pick the place. Wanting to try our more vegetarian places, I opted for Soul Food Café.

As much as I was super determined to be thrilled over a Vegetarian’s paradise there were a few unimpressive things about it. Firstly, it took ages for our food orders to be taken. Secondly it took ages for our food to come out. It did come out at the same time, thank goodness.





Coffee was good, and I finally got the bonsoy I so desired! Well after I realised I could have had it the week before and didn’t get it. The foam was really fluffy, good milk work guys!








I got the breakfast burger. I can’t express enough how much I love getting a burger out. Being a vegetarian makes this harder because lots of places that traditionally do burgers (read: pubs) don’t really cater for vegos. So to combine my two of my favourite things: breakfast and burgers – I was sold. It was delicious, as you would expect Turkish break, fried egg, tomato, mushrooms, spinach cheese and a side of hash browns to boot (hash browns sold separately). Those hash browns were really great, so glad I opted for them as a last breakfast (for a while) splurge. It was a bit mushroom heavy which is probably just a personal preference of mine, but mushrooms are easy to pick out so I was happy.

Burger for breakfast? Don't mind if I do!


Steph got the 'Monster Vegan' which was massively huge, and she finished it all, which left the rest of the table mighty impressed. It had scrambled tofu and it came with toast, hash browns, mushrooms, spinach, tomato and relish. It was her first time to scramble tofu and she is a total convert now!


Maddy and Tiffo both got the ‘Soul’s Big Brekie’, which is eggs any way you like it plus any 3 sides. I do like that option – too often I find cafes seem to over-charge for sides. Maddy had scrambled eggs, haloumi and a potato rosti. Tiffo got poached eggs, fetta, spinach and mushrooms. The toast came with butter or nutlex on the side, and was pretty thin for restaurant standards. Maddy’s was quite nice – gee haloumi is awesome, even after it’s gone tough. That salty taste, mmmm! I did steal a bit off Maddy’s plate for anyone who didn’t figure that out. Tiffo was less pleased with her meal – hard poached eggs and bland spinach. The fetta saved her meal, but overall she found it disappointing. Damn those overcooked eggs!












Lucky Tiff was able to get a chocolate truffle for her baked good, which met the delicious criteria – phew! Although I rushed her out of there so I could make my free massage on time (hard life!) so she had to enjoy on the go.

Baked good saved the day

So overall mixed reviews – Mine was great but Tiffo was thoroughly disappointed – and not just because of the lack of bacon, I’ve seen her voluntarily forgo bacon before! I may not rush to go back there but if other people wanted to go I’d go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment