Sunday, June 5, 2011

Red Door Corner Store Cafe

I was beginning to worry that all my reviews are too good. From my limited knowledge (on everything really), a food critique can’t like everything and has to be a bit harsh to be considered a food critique of any credibility, right? This was going around at the back of my mind.

This was until I went to Queensland. Now I don’t want to be terribly snobbish but in my two day stint ‘up north’ I didn’t really experience anything that could be described as fine culinary cuisine (and I’m not a proper foodie, so for me to be hating on their restaurants it’s got to be pretty average, right?). And whilst two days can’t really get me having an experience that should set the benchmark for all the food of a whole other state, but I was not impressed. Almost everything I was served up was reminiscent of bland old school RSL food, i.e. salads consisting of iceberg lettuce, and a few wedges of tomato. When I went out for breakfast I indulged in my recently renewed love of bagels that was reawakened during my trip to A Minor Place. The Queensland version of the bagel was served with the unlikely pairing of a side salad fitting the aforementioned salad description, plus it had unnecessary butter on it (my bad, as I should have checked but who puts butter on a bagel when you order it with cream cheese? Surely butter and cream cheese are mutually exclusive). Plus there was just a weird off taste that I’m attributing to the butter, my chai latte was too weak, and it was overpriced. Whinge complete.

In summation, I heart Melbourne Breakfasts.



Today we went to Red Door Corner Store in Northcote. Tiffo had discovered it the week before and upon arrival Peach realised she’d been here too. The just-rustic-enough interior is scattered with red kitchen appliances and such, the whole effect is very charming. I wish I’d taken a photo of the back outdoor area, which was a picturesque portrait of Autumn courtesy of the corner Japanese Maple that had thoughtfully scattered the majority of his leaves for my viewing pleasure.




Coffee: Really good. How sweet are the little plates? It’s like I’m back in the 80’s and using my mum’s good china (but mismatching it with a latte glass, which I’m sure no one in Melbourne had heard of in the 80’s).








Tiff and Peach picked from the specials board, the special: mushrooms, spinach, a poached egg, shaved parmesan and semolina gnocchi. Gnocchi for breakfast? Apparently fantastic. I reckon you could put shaved parmesan cheese on pair of socks and I’d eat it though, why is that stuff not on everything?

I almost forgot the shot of their traditional bacon on the side


BOC newbie M and I both had spicy chipotle bean tortilla with sour cream, topped with avocado, coriander and tomato salsa. We also added a poached eggs. It was like a Mexican themed breakfast party in my mouth and I wanted to invite everyone, and I was left with an insatiable lust for more sour cream in subsequent day which I have still not satisfied. This was just so awesome, I was so impressed. And even though it looked quite small when it was served up, I still couldn’t finish it.


Breakfast was finished off with sweet treats – banana and passionfruit muffin and chocolate mud muffins. Once again, not the adorable plates. Does everyone’s mum have a collection of these?












Peach got a chilli hot chocolate as well – just check out that presentation! It came with a cinnamon stick which she was able to sip through, although this was a bit intense. But the chocolate was great, not to mention massive.

All in all very good. Also I’m pleased to note that the staff were great, really friendly and relaxed. One small downfall – no EFTPOS. For the slightly more disorganised among us, we had to trek up the hill to get to the ATM on high street, but luckily it was a beautiful day and I must say that the walk did make me feel slightly better about all that sour cream, so not an entirely bad thing. But if it’s raining or if you have to rush off after your delicious breakfast, be sure to stop at the ATM on the way.

2 comments:

  1. Obviously the only option is to open an awesome cafe in Queensland to show them what they are missing out on.... OBVIOUSLY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah except I don't want to be stuck in balmy
    Queensland with no one cool and nothing good to do with nothing good to eat (bar the food in my awesome cafe)... the only OBVIOUS solution is for you and everyone else I know to move with me!

    ReplyDelete