Saturday, September 10, 2011

Balderdash

This is the first time I've been to Balderdash for food, but I’d been there for coffee many times before. This is due to the close proximity to my old stomping ground and the fact that it has pretty consistently great coffee. Also, and very importantly, they also have a totally cute waiter. Balderdash is set into the corner of Bridge St and Bay St in Port Melbourne and has a pretty low key look – fresh flowers, polished concrete floors, big centre tables and bars with stools lining the window. Pretty cool flying pig on the ceiling too!





















It was a nice enough day with a small smattering of rain but mostly Sunny. So my friend Dave and I walked down there for a cruisy Father’s Day brunch with his son Otis:




Balderdash use my Bonsoy, which is a great drop. Checks out the lovely coffee art in an appropriately sized cup:


Dave sugared up his latte before I remembered to take a photo. And praise the Lord, after the last rubbish breakfast experience at Pope Joan, I was presented with a menu where there were loads of delicious sounding options and I struggled to pick just one. But I did, and that one was the ‘Feta basil pesto scrambled eggs with multigrain toast’. And just look at this presentation:



Hidden under the toast is rocket. It may have been a bit bland if not for the rocket and balsamic, which really made it. So overall I was pretty thrilled.

Dave got eggs benedict, he had a hankering for it all day. And he was pretty happy with it – I tried to pick on the firmness of the eggs but he said he let that one sit for a while so overall happy with the food. He also found the balsamic really made the meal as well.



Having a dog is a license to talk to strangers. We had a lovely chat with the couple sitting next to us, of which ½ was vegan, although it was bad timing to discuss the perils of the dairy industry seconds before my scrambled eggs with feta came out – uh-oh, vegan fail. Good weather + friendly dog = easy new friends.

Downside: the cute waiter forgot Dave’s OJ which is the second time this has happened to him. Lucky the food was so delicious. The weather brightened up and we took Otis down to the beach. Good food, great company, mostly good weather = great day!





No comments:

Post a Comment