Friday, September 9, 2011

Richmond Hill Cafe & Larder

This fortnight, our crew of Champions braved the Melbourne rain for a trip out to Bridge Road Richmond. Richmond Hill Cafe & Larder was our destination. With a cheeky U-turn we found ticketed parking on Bridge Road ($5 for 2 hours though... eeek). I'm not sure how successful we would have been had it been the weekend, but I was told by fellow champion Sally that there is parking available behind the Bridge Road shops, so if you were combining shopping with a brekky adventure that could be the way to go!

Mmmm Breakfast!
We walked through the red doors and were instantly hit with an amazing cheesy smell. In front of us lay 'The Cheese Room' which according from their website is a 'purpose built maturation room', hampers are available for all those cheese connoisseurs. 
Room of cheesy goodness!
We were happily greeted by a waitress and seated on a roomy 4 seater table. Coffee orders were promptly taken and we were left to drool over the menu.

The 'Spring Breakfast' menu available till 3pm, had almost too many options. Our little crew of Champions were struggling to choose, with Maddy having the most trouble. But fear not, we made our choice and I for one was oh sooo satisfied.

Coffee coffee coffee!




Even though there was a slight hiccup with our coffee orders (a short macchiato instead of a latte was bought to the table), the mistake was promptly an apologetically rectified. Our breakfast orders were taken and we were left to enjoy our creamy and sufficiently strong coffees!




Linen napkin!


One little detail that I was particularly taken by was our LINEN napkins, yep you heard me, actually fabric, it wasn't even that 'linen feel' paper napkins. We are talking hand folded dry cleaned napkins, way to make a girl feel special over breakfast.





Breakfast time, and wasn't I a happy little camper that Sal and I ordered the same meal. I would have had major food envy otherwise!

Corn fritters with Chorizo!
Sally and I both enjoyed our Corn and coriander fritters with smoked salmon a poached egg (perfectly runny), spinach and a house made tomato and capsicum relish. I also got a side of chorizo which was just the right amount of spice. Sally ordered the house made spicy sausage as a side, I had a cheeky taste and admittedly would have been just as happy (if not more) with that tasty morsel. The Corn fritters had a great taste and the chefs were not skimpy with the corn. All the flavours overall worked well and I was smiling my happy smile at the end.

Maddy's Breakfast!
Maddy's Brekky looked absolutely fantastic when it came to the table, and I ALMOST found myself regretting my own breakfast decision. Almost.
Maddy's choice: Avocado and fresh tomato on Dench's sourdough with Meredith's soft goat's feta, chilli and basil. With a side of bacon of course! Maddy did enjoy her breakfast but was disappointed by the thickness (or thinness) of the toast slice. It was closer to a sandwich cut of bread and I'm told was really difficult to cut through. Nothing beats a good thick serve of toast with your breakfast and at $18.50 for the meal (not including the bacon) I can understand her frustration.

Mmmmm Baked Goods....
Assorted baked treats!
Looking at the above picture again makes my mouth water! The Champions all became a little excited at the options for our sweet treat to finish off our meal so we ordered three and had a big share!
First, the warm croissant with a house made chocolate and hazelnut spread, soft and fresh and melted in my mouth.
Second, A vanilla cupcake with spiralling chocolate  icing, light and fluffy, everything a cupcake should be.
Finally, the chocolate tart with light pastry base, dense (but not too dense) chocolatey goodness, my chosen final mouthful (always leave the best to last right??)


The price of the meal for me was $35.80, which I was happy to pay considering I really really really enjoyed it. It included, 2 coffees, the corn fritters, the chorizo side and a baked treat.  Coffee was above the standard at $3.90, although Bridge Road may have higher prices than what I am used to else where. It was probably the $5 side of chorizo that I would say was a little steep, but what price can you put on a delicious piece of sausage really?


I had a thoroughly enjoyable breakfast (cause I haven't that already). The service was prompt and their management of a mistake (which happens) was handled well. The meal was tasty and the size was generous. The atmosphere was comfortable and relaxed. Everything you want in a brunch really. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.


Also, I recommend looking at the Richmond Hill Cafe & Larder website, it is one of the more comprehensive cafe websites I have come across.





No comments:

Post a Comment