Monday, September 19, 2011

Pillar of Salt (revisited)

Pillar of Salt has already been documented here on BOC (the inaugural post I believe, ahhh memories) but seeing as though I went in at a much later time, sat in a different area, had all different meals AND had a really nice experience to boot, I think it deserves another wrap. I did go with the same people though, my wonderful friends Todd and KT.





















Check out the colanders for light fittings!













We were originally going to go to Amsterdam Café but it was sadly closed, and since we had enjoyed Pillar of Salt before we decided to go there again. Saturday was a balmy day for September and we sat out the back area to a truly cruisy late afternoon vibe. The staff were chilled out and helpful, and the menu selections were so good I could hardly decide, but I got there in the end. Phew!

The last time we were there, it was a busy Saturday morning and Richmond's trendiest folk were out in force. We felt out of place that we didn't have on heels and a faux rabbit skin vest on (all the rage a few months ago). Switch to the afternoon and the place has a much more relaxed feel.
So even though it was about 3pm, they had all day breakfast and I’m only human, I can’t resist that! Todd picked from the lunch menu but KT and I stayed in the realm of breakfast.


Todd got the coconut poached chicken salad, shredded vegetables, vermiceli noodles, asian herbs & nahm jim dressing ($15). It looked so great, it's times like these when it’s hard being a vego. Of course I didn’t succumb and had to take his word for it that it was excellent, especially loved the dressing. He also got some communal chips - that man knows the way to a girls heart, who doesn't love cafe chips!

mmmmm chips

Coconut poached chicken salad

KT, Todd's beautiful other half, got the homemade smoky borlotti bean bruschetta, with avocado & persian feta puree, served with a poached egg, parsley dressing & shaved grana padano ($16.50). I thought this sounded great but I don’t generally like smoky flavours so I passed on it. KT generously allowed me to sample a fair few bites and there was no overpowering smoke flavours, just delicious beans and cheese flavours so I think this is what I will get when we no doubt come again.




I got the corn fritters, smoked salmon, coriander & avacado salsa ($16 or with a poached egg $18). I asked for no salmon but the others jumped in, stating that they would kindly take the salmon off my hands. That is, after all, what friends are for. The helpful waiter said he’d put it on a side dish for for us, so it's not in this photo as it was eagerly plucked away by KT but I think you can see it in the chips photo above!




They forgot our coke but were mighty apologetic when it came out. The staff were preparing for an evening function but didn’t kick us out, nor did they mind when we stayed chatting for ages after our meals were finished. Overall a really nice afternoon with friends topped off by excellent food and relaxed atmosphere. Get yourself down there kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment