Saturday, May 7, 2011

Pillar of Salt

www.pillarofsalt.com.au/

Ditching my regular breakfast buddies, I met up with good friends who whilst technically live in Melbourne, aren’t there very often. Despite this, I entrusted them to the location, and they certainly didn’t let me down. Pillar of Salt is in Church street Richmond and is brilliant location for people watching. Grabbing a free table outside near the entrance was purely by accident, but allowed us to see many persons of the “I’m so trendy I don’t even need to try” variety, not to mention the plethora of brilliant casual Saturday morning outfits that literally came to us. I’m talking rabbit skin vests, beautiful new season boots and an array of tight bodied Lycra skinned cyclist. But enough about the scenery.

Whilst the sign is placed with what I’m sure is heaps of artistic flair, it’s hard to see if you have a dirty great Ute sitting out front (especially if you’re running characteristically late and hastily scanning the streets for a location you’ve never been to and are stressing cause your friends are waiting for you).

Close up, but somewhat obscured by one of the bikes, no doubt owned by one of the aforementioned toned cyclists. Did I mention hot bodies?


Coffee took a while to come out but clearly a lot of time went into that presentation (see above). And they were so good that I had to have another.

I can’t help myself and always order poached eggs, with the red wine mushrooms and spinach as sides. They were lovely , cooked to perfection (pet hate - when my eggs are over-poached). I forgot to ask for no butter on the toast, and I’m not sure but they may have used olive oil on the toast instead of butter and maybe even spread some on the plate too - there was definitely something on that plate. It wasn’t a bad effect and certainly didn't make the meal heavy or (gasp!) untasty, but guys, a girl has gotta watch her figure. And with all those hot people around, I'm likely to slip into a body image complex.

T (obviously a pseudonym, protect the innocent etc) ordered the soft taco, which was reportedly lovely. The black turtle beans were a good touch and that Persian feta guacamole was deeevvviiinnneee. Good work team.

K had the scrambled eggs with avocado, which once again impressed. Please excuse the photos - we got so excited at the thought of food that we had already exchanged sides and started to dig in by the time I remembered to take the customary photos. This is what happens when I go anywhere without my beloved sister who is far better with these things. Don't worry though, it won’t happen again, I'll never go anywhere without you again!


Side note - I can't seem to get my photos the right way up. Why does this occur and how the heck do I fix it? They're the right way up in my computer, why are they the wrong way up blogger? Epic first real post fail

3 comments:

  1. May I suggest the reason that the photos have not come out the right way is because karma is getting back at you for not taking your beloved sister with you for breakfast..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make it up to you - what are you doing tomorrow.... say around 10 am?

    ReplyDelete