Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Snow Pony

Today the team was back in force, and we visited in Snow Pony in Balwyn. Regular breakfast champions Peach and Tiff have already and tested this particular locale and were hanging to get back for another visit. Also non-regular breakfast buddy G came along for the ride. Check out their funky website and the full PDF of their euro style menu sprinkled with wit here: www.snowponycafe.com.au

(side note: I am thrilled by their proud use of free range ingredients and locally sourced foods, which ticks one of my boxes)

In this photo Tiff handily points out the pony on their roof which makes for easy cafe spotting. And if you miss the pony, there are lovely bright yellow chairs outside (which can't really be seen here). Unfortunately Melbourne winter has set in, and even though technically it’s still Autumn you wouldn't know seeing as though it’s so freakishly ridiculously cold. Who is up for a change of continents for a few months? I have nothing better to do (bar breakfasts).


For a weekday it was pretty full – good sign. For non-freezing days there are tables out the front and some outdoor tables out the back, as well as lots of indoor seating for those of us who don’t like to risk cigarette smoke infiltrating their eggs. The décor has been done really well, great artwork on the wall and inspirational food related quotes on the walls painted with blackboard paint. Our favourite? “Never eat more than you can lift” – Miss Piggy 1978.

The moment we sat down we were set upon for our coffee orders to be taken, excellent service by friendly but chilled staff. Tiff and I arrived first but as soon as the other girls came, their drink orders were taken too. And whilst the coffee looked lovely, it wasn’t brilliant (not awful, but certainly not memorable) and it was TINY! I know these small cups are trendy but geeezzz $4 for 3 mouthfuls?

Smallest cup ever


Luckily the food made up for it. I always step in as the token bogan of the group, and ask for tomato Sauce and usually cafés will forget/try to inject class into me, but Snow Pony needed no reminder, bless their cotton socks! And for the second time in a week my eggs were cooked to perfection, I was one happy camper.

Boganesque tomato sauce can be found at the top left


Tiff got the smashed avocado, which she’s had before and it was so good she had to go back for seconds. Brilliant crusty toast, mashed avocado, fetta and mushrooms with a side of bacon (did I mention free range? FREE RANGE!!).


Peach got the banana bread that she has been lusting over ever since she found out we were going back to Snow Pony. And doesn’t it look divine? Silly me forgot to ask for a taste, but I’m sure Peachy can attest to how good it was, since it was her second time and I heard nothing but talk of banana bread for two weeks after the first time they went (slight exaggeration? Perhaps).







G is a good addition to the team as she ordered something different, which makes for not only new experiences but photos too. You’re welcome anytime girlfriend! Bircher museli, with some nice presentation there (in a glass! Those crazy cats) and is that pistachios I see on top? Mmmm

So overall, pretty top experience, and it’s possible that I just got the barista on a bad day? I’ll be back. We had scoot before we could eat our normal sweet treat at the end and the yo-yos there just taunted the heck outta me as I left so I went home and made some and had to share:

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm yo-yos!
    That banana bread really does look fantastic doesn't it... now I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally lovely staff and deelish food! I didn't have a coffe but their combo of freshly squeezed orange and grapefruit juice is fab!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did that waiter say again when he was given the choice of dishes?? egg overload???

    ReplyDelete